The first time I made cashew nut milk I was knocked in the face with the most smooth, creamy and luxurious textures and flavours, ever. Not only was it delicious, but proved to be very easy to make, just perfection. Simply soak, rinse and blend with purified water. That’s it!
If you are looking for something with a little bit of sweetness, a LOT of flavour and a bit of a ZING, this milk will do the trick!
– 1/4 of a whole Pineapple and a 2 inch knob of ginger (juiced – if you don’t have fresh ginger to juice, you can use a 2 tsp powdered ginger)
– 1/4 cup raw cashews to soak in water (1 hour at least)
– 1.5 cup water (separate from soak water)
– 3 dates or 2 tsp lucuma powder for sweetness (tastes like citrus and maple syrup and has low glycemic index)
– 1/2 vanilla bean pod – seeds scraped out of pod
– pinch of salt
– Ice cubes
Soak the cashews for at least an hour and drain the water. You always want to discard the ‘soak’ water because it contains enzyme inhibitors that is released from nuts as it soaks (we need enzymes to help us digest food). The nuts after soaking (activated nuts) are easier to digest as they do not contain the enzyme inhibitors! Neat, eh? 🙂
If you are fortunate to have a Vitamix then you can add everything into the blender and adjust the quantity of ice or water as you like.
If you have a regular blender, start first with the cashews, dates and a little bit of water so that it blends to a smooth consistency. As you add more water, the milk will start to come together nicely. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend until you have your milk as creamy as you like it.
To make this into a smoothie, add some banana, frozen mango, coconut yogurt or even frozen strawberry and it will be DELISH! Feel free to use any milk you have on hand almond, oat, rice, kefir or goat milk.
I just love new and interesting flavour combinations, don’t you!?
Be daring with food!
Lots of food love,
Healthy H’ohm’e ~xo