Hey there Everyone!
Have you been looking for a ‘healthier’ alternative to that sickly sweet and (terribly) addictive powdered cocoa mix? I know I have. I avoid it altogether because I know that what is in it, is just yucky for my body.
Some days, I’m sure we all crave a little sweet here and there. Today, my body screamed “HOT CHOCOLATE. It’s been ages!!”.
So I played around with ingredients in the kitchen and found a delicious and not-too-sweet alternative that is dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan.
READY FOR THIS?
Here are the deets: (I must add that they are approximate… I never measure anything so I am guessing here)
* 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract or half of a vanilla bean pod
* pinch salt – to bring out the cocoa flavour, so just a touch
* 1 tbsp. coconut palm sugar
* 1/2 tsp maple syrup – this adds a nice flavour
* 2 tsp cocoa powder – raw if you have it
* 1/2 tsp raw coconut butter – this is coconut flesh dried and then pulverised until it forms a butter, kind of like how you would make natural peanut butter (minus the drying part). The flavour, and rich creaminess you get from just a little touch of coconut butter REALLY sets this hot chocolate apart from the rest
***In a pot on med-high heat, add in the milk first and then every other ingredient and stir often. If you whisk rigorously, you can actually get it foamy like I did. Do not bring it to a boil, keep your eyes on this baby. If it gets too hot, it will scald and the burnt taste is not really desired.
TIPS: For a little bit of customization, try adding;
** Cardamom pods (3-6)
** Freshly ground nutmeg
** Freshly ground cinnamon
** Peppermint tea – mint and chocolate never fails! Just add a peppermint tea bag and let it steep in the hot chocolate. Natural flavouring, at it’s best!
** ALCOHOL?? Tis the season! Coffee liquors…just an idea.. you can take this were you want it to go…hehe.
I hope this brings a little bit of warmth your way!
Feed your soul,