One of my newfound breakkie loves, is the Tofu Scramble.
It is so easy to make and soaks up any flavours you can think of, in your foggy morning saunter to the fridge. 😉
Today’s take on tofu scramble was somewhat frittata-like by adding quinoa and a tasty medley of veg. Mushrooms, for me, can add a meaty flavour and texture – something that I was all to familiar with just a few months ago. Incredible how things can change!
One of my favourite ingredients to add to a ‘scramble’ is turmeric – the aromatics, colour and flavour work so well to make this egg-like and delectable! Not to mention the wonderful health benefits of turmeric, which is anti-inflammatory, is said to inhibit cancer cell growth, improve liver function and lowers cholesterol levels. So much PUNCH packed into a totally unassuming spice. Thanks Mother Nature! 🙂
Here’s what you need:
* 1/4 cup firm organic tofu, crumbled with your fingers
* 1/4 red onion, chopped finely
* 1 clove of garlic, grated or chopped
* 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil – I used grapeseed because it doesn’t add flavour and has a high smoking point, meaning it wont break down at high temperatures
* 1 inch piece zucchini – grated
* 1 button mushroom chopped
* 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
* salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, nutmeg, and chopped fresh parsley – you can add or omit any herbs or spice here!
** In a frying pan on med heat, add oil, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and let sauté for 2-3 minutes.
** Next, add mushrooms and zucchini until all is cooked through, approx. 5 minutes.
** Add crumbed tofu, quinoa and spices.
** Heat through until at desired temp for steamy and healthy Tofu Scramble! WOO! Drooling yet?
I like to add the fresh herbs at the end so they do not discolour or loose nutrients or flavour. It really makes for great presentation when you add something green and fresh on top of a yummy creation.
I also added a few extra touches:
* A tomato and some cilantro and lemon Hot Sauce – YUM!!
Peace, love and Breakfast yums 🙂
Feed your soul,