Good Morning hungry people!
I have recently acquainted myself with Chia seeds. I was very pleased to meet them as I quickly learned that even though they are small, man! are they MIGHTY!
Packed with Omega 3’s, protein and anti-oxidants, these little guys are my secret weapon when I need an energy boost.
They are also fun to play with. Add water, and watch them grow! They remind me of passion fruit seeds or little googlie eyes… that you can EAT!
Chia seeds can replace eggs in many recipes if you are following a vegan diet and need a natural binder for your baked goods, or can even be blended up and made into a pudding.
The opportunities are endless! And that’s how we like it here at Healthy H’ohm’e : )
Let me share with you the mighty little breakfast muffins that I made this morning.
Here are the deets:
* 1 cup gluten-free or regular flour
* 1.5 tsp baking powder
* 2 tbsp raw organic coconut palm sugar
* 1/3 cup unsweetened grated coconut
* pinch of salt
* 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (just go with it…)
* 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 tbsp chia seeds + 5 tbsp hot water (egg replacement)
* 1.5 tbsp organic coconut oil (melted)
* 2 tbsp raw agave
* zest and juice of 1 orange
First things first! Get that chia going!
Place chia and water in a small bowl and let it do it’s thing. It’s pretty amazing, I think.
Also, Preheat oven to 350F, please.
And oil your muffin tins – this recipe yields 6 muffins.
* Place all dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another.
* Add the WET to the DRY and stir it all about.
* Distribute batter evenly to your hearts content, and place into the oven for approx. 15 minutes.
NB: Remember, every oven is different, so keep an eye on your yummy creations!
What a great start to the day. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Chia seeds make me feel like a food scientist!!! NEAT-O!!!
Feed your soul,